Stacked Sweet Corn, Bean, and Beef Casserole
ears fresh corn on the cob
ounces lean ground beef
ounces uncooked chorizo sausage
15 ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
large yellow sweet pepper, chopped
cloves garlic, minced
cup bottled chunky green salsa
tablespoon chili powder
teaspoons ground cumin
teaspoon cayenne pepper
8 inches flour tortillas
cups shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
Sour Cream (optional)
Chopped tomatoes and cilantro (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Cut corn from cobs; set aside. Grease a 9-inch springform pan, large oven-going platter, or a 12-inch pizza pan; set aside.
- In a large skillet cook beef and chorizo until brown and cooked through, breaking up any large pieces with a spatula; drain fat. Add beans to beef mixture and heat through. Cover and keep warm.
- In another large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, sweet pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally until tender, about 10 minutes. Add corn, salsa, chili powder, cumin, and cayenne. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place two of the tortillas in prepared pan. Top with meat mixture. Reserve 1/4 cup of cheese. Divide the remaining 1-1/4 cups of cheese in half; sprinkle one half on the meat mixture. Add another tortilla, vegetable mixture, and remaining half of cheese. Add final tortilla. Cover loosely with foil. Bake 10 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with reserved 1/4 cup of cheese. Bake 10 minutes more. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove sides if using springform pan. Top with sour cream, tomatoes, and cilantro. Slice with a serrated knife. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Stacked Sweet Corn, Bean, and Beef Casserole)
- Per serving:
- 514 kcal cal.,
- 29 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 12 g monounsatured fat),
- 82 mg chol.,
- 890 mg sodium,
- 33 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 30 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet