Spicy Adobo Pork Tostadas
- Trim fat from roast; cut pork into chunks. Place pork in a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker. In a medium bowl, stir together tomato sauce, chicken broth, chipotle peppers, garlic, salt, cumin, coriander, and pepper; pour over pork in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove pork from cooker. Using two forks, shred pork. Reserve half of the pork (about 3 cups) and 2 cups of the sauce; store* as directed below. Use with Chipotle Pork Tamale Casserole (see recipe below). Mix the remaining pork with 1/2 cup of the sauce. Discard any remaining sauce. Makes 4 servings + reserves.
- Spread refried beans over tostada shells. Top evenly with pork mixture. Divide greens, tomato, avocado, and cheese evenly among tostadas. Top each with sour cream.
From the Test Kitchen
Place shredded pork and sauce in separate airtight containers. Seal and chill for up to 3 days. (Or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator overnight before using.)
Chipotle Pork Tamale Casserole:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees . In a 2-quart square baking dish, arrange 16-ounce tube refrigerated cooked polenta, sliced 1/2 inch thick, overlapping as necessary. Top with reserved pork. Remove layer of fat from sauce. Spoon 1/2 cup of the sauce over pork. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Top with 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese. Bake, uncovered, about 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted. Meanwhile, heat remaining sauce. Sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped tomato and 1/4 cup sliced green onion over casserole. Serve with warm sauce. Makes 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts per serving of Chipotle Pork Tamale Casserole: 488 cal., 21 g total fat (10 g sat. fat), 143 mg chol., 1215 mg sodium, 27 g carb., 4 g dietary fiber, 44 g protein.
Nutrition Facts (Spicy Adobo Pork Tostadas)
- Per serving:
- 680 kcal cal.,
- 36 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 15 g monounsatured fat),
- 144 mg chol.,
- 988 mg sodium,
- 40 g carb.,
- 8 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 48 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet