Spaghetti with Italian Sausage and Spinach
Red pepper flakes add heat and subtle fruity tang to this Italian-inspired dish. Wedges of sweet onion and sweet pepper rings cool the fire.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Start to Finish: 35 mins
- In 12-inch skillet cook sausages, turning occasionally, for 15 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Add sweet peppers and onion to sausage in skillet. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti, with 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper added to water, according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water (*Using Pasta Water, see below). Drain pasta; return to pan.
- Toss sausage mixture and salt with spaghetti in pan. Stir in chicken broth and enough reserved pasta water to thin, Add spinach; toss just until combined and spinach is slightly wilted. Sprinkle servings with Asiago cheese and additional crushed red pepper. Makes 8 servings.
*Using Pasta Water Use pasta cooking water to flavor and thin sauces. To reserve, just before draining pasta, ladle out the amount of pasta water needed into a glass measuring cup or bowl.
- 466 kcal cal.;
- 24 g Fat, total;
- 59 mg chol.;
- 9 g sat. fat;
- 41 g carb.;
- 5 g fiber;
- 21 g pro.;
- 2284 IU vit. A;
- 745 mg sodium;
- 3 mg iron;
- 131 mg calcium;
- 1 mg vit. C
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet