South Carolina-Style Ribs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Trim fat from ribs. Place ribs in a shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle ribs with salt and black pepper. Cover dish with foil. Bake for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until tender. Drain off fat.
- At least 1 hour before grilling, soak wood chips in enough water to cover. Drain wood chips.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan combine mustard, honey, vinegar, apple juice, Worcestershire sauce, the 1/2 teaspoon salt, and hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered, 12 to 15 minutes or until desired consistency, stirring occasionally.
- For a charcoal grill, sprinkle wood chips over medium coals. Place ribs on the grill rack directly over coals. Grill, covered, for 15 minutes, turning once and brushing occasionally with some of the sauce. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Add wood chips according to manufacturer directions. Place ribs on grill rack. Grill as directed above.) Serve ribs with remaining sauce.
- If desired, serve with Sweet Tea. Makes 4 servings.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, 1/4 cup water and lemon juice. Bring to boiling, stirring to dissolve sugar. Transfer syrup to a heat-proof pitcher. Bring 4 cups water to boiling in the same saucepan. Remove from heat. Add bags; let steep 5 minutes. Remove and discard tea bags. Add tea to the pitcher, stirring to combine. Fill 4 tall glasses with ice cubes and a lemon slice. Add tea. Makes 4 (8-ounce) servings.
- (Nutrition Facts per serving of tea: 106 cal., 0 g total fat (0 g sat. fat), 0 mg chol., 9 mg sodium, 28 g carb., 1 g dietary fiber, 0 g protein.)
Nutrition Facts (South Carolina-Style Ribs)
- Per serving:
- 575 kcal cal.,
- 20 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 252 mg chol.,
- 1198 mg sodium,
- 22 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 20 g sugar,
- 72 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet