- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 4 1/2 - 5 pounds boneless pork country-style ribs
- 1 1/2 cups bottled barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 cups hot cooked noodles (optional)
- Fresh thyme sprigs (optional)
1. Trim fat from ribs. Place ribs in a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker. In a medium bowl, combine barbecue sauce, onion, celery, mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and thyme. Pour sauce mixture over ribs in cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 11 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 5 1/2 hours.
3. Using a slotted spoon, remove ribs from sauce. Strain sauce; if necessary, skim fat from sauce. Serve half of the ribs and half of the sauce, if desired, with hot cooked noodles and thyme springs. Makes 4 servings + reserves.
4. Using two forks, shred the remaining half of the ribs, trimming fat as necessary; reserve and store* as directed below. Use in Shredded Pork Sandwiches with Vinegar Slaw (see recipe below).
- Place shredded pork (about 3 cups) and 1 cup sauce in an airtight container; stir to combine. Place remaining sauce (about 2 cups) in a second airtight container. Seal and chill for up to 3 days. (Or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator overnight before using.)
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 cups packaged shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix); 1/4 cup cider vinegar; 3 tablespoons honey; 1/4 teaspoon salt; and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper. Toss to combine. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours, stirring occasionally. In a medium saucepan, heat reserved meat mixture, covered, over medium heat about 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. If desired, add some of the reserved sauce to moisten meat. In a small saucepan, heat any remaining sauce over medium-low heat until heated through. To serve, strain cabbage mixture, discarding liquid. Divide meat mixture on top of 4 Kaiser roll or hoagie bun bottoms, toasted. Top with cabbage and 4 Kaiser roll or hoagie bun tops. Pass reserved sauce and, if desired, bottled hot pepper sauce. Makes 4 servings.
- Nutrition Facts per serving of Shredded Pork Sandwiches with Vinegar Slaw: 673 cal., 23 g total fat (7 g sat. fat), 162 mg chol., 1089 mg sodium, 56 g carb., 3 g dietary fiber, 57 g protein.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 554,
- Fat, total (g) 22,
- chol. (mg) 189,
- sat. fat (g) 7,
- carb. (g) 30,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 10,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 3,
- fiber (g) 2,
- sugar (g) 7,
- pro. (g) 54,
- vit. A (IU) 97,
- vit. C (mg) 6,
- Thiamin (mg) 1,
- Riboflavin (mg) 1,
- Niacin (mg) 12,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1,
- Folate (µg) 65,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 2,
- sodium (mg) 632,
- Potassium (mg) 1021,
- calcium (mg) 91,
- iron (mg) 5,
- Starch () 1,
- Other Carb () 1,
- Lean Meat () 8,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet