Shredded Pork Chalupas
- Makes: 32 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Bake: 15 mins 375°F
- Cook: 8 hrs to 10 hrs (low) or 4 to 5 hours (high)
Shredded Pork Chalupas
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker combine meat, tomato sauce, the 1/2 cup water, the chile peppers, cumin seeds, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F; grease a very large baking sheet and set aside. To prepare chalupas, in a medium bowl combine masa harina, the 1 cup cheese, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. In a large bowl beat lard and egg yolk with an electric mixer on medium speed until mixture is light and fluffy. Alternately add masa mixture and the 1 cup warm water to beaten mixture, beating until a soft dough forms. (If necessary, add a little more warm water, 1 teaspoon at a time, to make a soft dough that is easy to handle.)
- Shape dough into 32 smooth balls, using a tablespoon of dough for each ball. Place balls 3 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Flatten each ball to a 2 3/4-inch circle; build up edges slightly. Bake, uncovered, about 15 minutes or until chalupas are set and bottoms are lightly browned.*
- Meanwhile, using a slotted spoon, remove meat from cooker. Cool until easy to handle. Strain and reserve cooking liquid. Using two forks, pull meat apart into shreds; stir in enough of the strained cooking liquid to moisten. (At this point, you can cover and chill the shredded meat mixture and strained cooking liquid until needed, up to 3 days.*
- To serve, spoon shredded meat mixture atop chapulas. If desired, serve with assorted toppings. Makes 32 chalupas
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare meat mixture as directed through step 4. Place shredded meat and cooking liquid in separate storage containers. Cover and chill for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days. To reheat thawed meat, transfer to a large skillet; cook and stir over medium heat until heated through, adding some of the reserved cooking liquid as needed to moisten.
Prepare as directed through step 3. Cool on baking sheet. Place in an airtight storage container; store at room temperature for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Return chalupas to baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through.
*To Make Chalupas Ahead:
Cool on baking sheet. Use immediately or place in an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to 2 days. To serve, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Meanwhile, return chalupas to baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, for 8 to 10 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts (Shredded Pork Chalupas)
- Per serving:
- 90 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 25 mg chol.,
- 157 mg sodium,
- 7 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet