Sauteed Red Cabbage with Onions and Smoked Sausage
tablespoons olive oil
pound cooked kielbasa (Polska kielbasa), halved lengthwise and bias-sliced in 1 1/2-inch pieces
of a large head red cabbage, halved and sliced in 1-inch slices (about 4 cups)
teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
pound red Swiss chard, trimmed and sliced crosswise into 1-inch-wide pieces (about 6 cups)
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat. Cook kielbasa pieces 5 minutes, stirring to brown evenly. Remove kielbasa from skillet; set aside and keep warm.
- Add onion and sugar to skillet. Cook and stir over medium heat 5 minutes, until onion is tender and caramelized. Remove onion mixture from skillet; set aside and keep warm.
- In same skillet add remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, cabbage, and caraway seeds. Cook and stir 6 to 8 minutes, until cabbage is wilted. Stir in chard. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes more, until chard is lightly wilted.
- Stir onion mixture and salt into cabbage mixture. Place kielbasa pieces on top. Serves 6.
Nutrition Facts(Sauteed Red Cabbage with Onions and Smoked Sausage)
- Per serving:
- 337 kcal cal.,
- 27 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 33 mg chol.,
- 801 mg sodium,
- 13 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 11 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet