Sausage and Pepper Sandwiches
uncooked sweet (mild) Italian sausage links (about 1 pound)
tablespoon cooking oil
cup green sweet pepper strips (1 medium)
cup red sweet pepper strips (1 medium)
large onion, sliced and separated into rings
cup bottled Italian salad dressing
tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
French-style rolls or hoagie buns, split*
- In a large skillet cook sausage links over medium heat about 5 minutes or until brown, turning frequently. Carefully add water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Uncover and cook sausages, turning frequently until liquid evaporates and sausages are cooked through (160 degrees F). Watch carefully so that sausages do not burn. Drain sausages on paper towels. Wipe out skillet, if necessary.
- In the same skillet add the oil, green and red sweet peppers, and onion. Cook and stir about 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Return sausage links to skillet. Combine the salad dressing and mustard. Stir into mixture in skillet. Heat through.
- To serve, hollow out bottoms of rolls or buns. If desired, toast roll halves 4 inches from the heat of the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes. Place sausages on roll bottoms. Top with sweet pepper mixture and roll tops.
- Makes 4 sandwiches
From the Test Kitchen
*If desired, do not split rolls. Instead cut unsplit rolls through the top and almost to the bottom. Add cooked sausages and vegetable mixture.
Nutrition Facts(Sausage and Pepper Sandwiches)
- Per serving:
- 567 kcal cal.,
- 38 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat,
- 10 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 18 g monounsatured fat),
- 77 mg chol.,
- 993 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 21 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet