Sage-Scented Pork Chops
- Trim fat from chops. In a small bowl, stir together sage, 1 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Rub sage mixture onto one side of each chop. In an extra-large skillet, brown both sides of chops, half at a time, in hot oil over medium heat.
- In a 6- or 7-quart slow cooker, place onion, broth, wine, and tapioca. Add the browned chops to cooker. Top with cabbage.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- Reserve and store* four chops. Use for Pork and Potato Gratin with Gruyere Cheese (see recipe below). Transfer remaining six chops to a platter; cover and keep warm. Using a slotted spoon, transfer cabbage and onion to a serving bowl. Stir mustard and caraway seeds into remaining juices in cooker. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over pork and cabbage. Makes 6 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Place chops in an airtight container; seal. Chill for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator overnight before using.
Pork and Potato Gratin with Gruyere Cheese:
For sauce, in a medium saucepan, cook 1/2 cup chopped onion in 3 tablespoons hot butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add 1 3/4 cups milk all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add 1 1/4 cups shredded Gruyere cheese; cook and stir until melted. Spread half of the potatoes in a greased 2 1/2- to 3-quart rectangular baking dish or au gratin dish. Top with reserved pork chops, chopped. Cover with half of the sauce. Repeat potato and sauce layers. Bake, covered, in a 375 degrees F oven about 45 minutes until potatoes are tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts per serving of Pork and Potato Gratin with Gruyere Cheese: 488 cal., 24 g total fat (12 g sat. fat), 109 mg chol., 618 mg sodium, 29 g carb., 2 g dietary fiber, 37 g. protein.
Nutrition Facts (Sage-Scented Pork Chops)
- Per serving:
- 300 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 87 mg chol.,
- 351 mg sodium,
- 9 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 37 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet