- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 10 boneless pork loin chops, cut 3/4 inch thick (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons dried sage, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry white wine or apple juice
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca, crushed
- 1/2 medium head green cabbage, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Salt and ground black pepper
1. Trim fat from chops. In a small bowl, stir together sage, 1 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Rub sage mixture onto one side of each chop. In an extra-large skillet, brown both sides of chops, half at a time, in hot oil over medium heat.
2. In a 6- or 7-quart slow cooker, place onion, broth, wine, and tapioca. Add the browned chops to cooker. Top with cabbage.
3. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
4. Reserve and store* four chops. Use for Pork and Potato Gratin with Gruyere Cheese (see recipe below). Transfer remaining six chops to a platter; cover and keep warm. Using a slotted spoon, transfer cabbage and onion to a serving bowl. Stir mustard and caraway seeds into remaining juices in cooker. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over pork and cabbage. Makes 6 servings.
- Place chops in an airtight container; seal. Chill for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator overnight before using.
- For sauce, in a medium saucepan, cook 1/2 cup chopped onion in 3 tablespoons hot butter over medium heat until tender. Stir in 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Add 1 3/4 cups milk all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add 1 1/4 cups shredded Gruyere cheese; cook and stir until melted. Spread half of the potatoes in a greased 2 1/2- to 3-quart rectangular baking dish or au gratin dish. Top with reserved pork chops, chopped. Cover with half of the sauce. Repeat potato and sauce layers. Bake, covered, in a 375 degrees F oven about 45 minutes until potatoes are tender. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.
- Nutrition Facts per serving of Pork and Potato Gratin with Gruyere Cheese: 488 cal., 24 g total fat (12 g sat. fat), 109 mg chol., 618 mg sodium, 29 g carb., 2 g dietary fiber, 37 g. protein.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 300,
- Fat, total (g) 12,
- chol. (mg) 87,
- sat. fat (g) 4,
- carb. (g) 9,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 5,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 2,
- fiber (g) 1,
- sugar (g) 2,
- pro. (g) 37,
- vit. A (IU) 97,
- vit. C (mg) 12,
- Thiamin (mg) 1,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 9,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1,
- Folate (µg) 20,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1,
- sodium (mg) 351,
- Potassium (mg) 783,
- calcium (mg) 61,
- iron (mg) 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet