Rhubarb-Glazed Pork Roast
For a sweet-tart taste sensation, revamp a standard pork roast with a honey rhubarb glaze.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Roast: 1 hr 15 mins 325°F
- Stand: 15 mins
- Place roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into center of roast. Roast in a 325 degree F oven for 1-1/4 hours to 1-3/4 hours or until the thermometer registers 150 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, for glaze, in a 2-quart saucepan combine rhubarb and apple-cranberry juice concentrate. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes or until rhubarb is very tender. Strain mixture into a 2-cup liquid measure, pressing out liquid with the back of a spoon; discard pulp. If necessary, add enough water to liquid to equal 1-1/4 cups.
- In the saucepan stir together cornstarch and the cold water. Stir in rhubarb liquid. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Stir in honey, mustard, and vinegar. Heat through.
- Brush some of the glaze onto the meat for the last 30 minutes of roasting. Cover meat with foil and let stand 15 minutes. The temperature of the meat after standing should be 160 degrees F. Reheat remaining glaze; serve with meat.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings
Prepare roast as above, except substitute apricot glaze for rhubarb glaze. For apricot glaze, in a small saucepan combine 2/3 cup apricot preserves, 4 teaspoons lime juice, 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 1/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger or 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger, and dash cayenne pepper. Cook and stir until bubbly.
Per 4 ounce meat: 309 cal., 7 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 83 mg chol., 168 mg sodium, 25 g carbo., 0 g fiber, 33 g pro.
Daily Values: 7% vit. C, 4% calcium, 7% iron
Exchanges: 1 1/2 Other Carbo., 4 Lean Meat
- Per serving:
- 336 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 83 mg chol.,
- 85 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 15 g sugar,
- 33 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet