- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 cup dry red kidney beans
- 1 smoked pork hock
- 12 ounces andouille sausage or cooked kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 8.8ounce packagecooked long grain rice
- 1/2 cup chopped red or yellow sweet pepper (1 small)
1. Rinse beans. In a large saucepan combine beans and 6 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans.
2. In a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker combine beans, pork hock, andouille, broth, onion, celery, tomato paste, garlic, thyme, oregano, and cayenne pepper.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
4. Remove pork hock. When cool enough to handle, cut meat off bone; cut meat into bite-size pieces. Discard bone. Stir meat, rice, and sweet pepper into bean mixture in slow cooker. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Cover; cook for 30 minutes more.
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 300,
- Fat, total (g) 6,
- chol. (mg) 64,
- sat. fat (g) 1,
- carb. (g) 37,
- fiber (g) 6,
- pro. (g) 25,
- sodium (mg) 882,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet