Red Beans and Rice with Andouille and Ham
cup dry red kidney beans
smoked pork hock
ounces andouille sausage or cooked kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
cup chopped onion (1 medium)
cup chopped celery (1 stalk)
tablespoon tomato paste
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
teaspoon cayenne pepper
8.8 ounce package cooked long grain rice
cup chopped red or yellow sweet pepper (1 small)
- Rinse beans. In a large saucepan combine beans and 6 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans.
- In a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker combine beans, pork hock, andouille, broth, onion, celery, tomato paste, garlic, thyme, oregano, and cayenne pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 9 to 10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
- Remove pork hock. When cool enough to handle, cut meat off bone; cut meat into bite-size pieces. Discard bone. Stir meat, rice, and sweet pepper into bean mixture in slow cooker. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Cover; cook for 30 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts(Red Beans and Rice with Andouille and Ham)
- Per serving:
- 300 kcal cal.,
- 6 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 64 mg chol.,
- 882 mg sodium,
- 37 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 25 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet