Pork Rib Roast with Apple-Cherry Stuffing
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Trim fat from roast. Place roast, meaty side up, in a shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into center of roast. Thermometer should not touch bones. Roast for 1 1/2 hours. Drain off fat.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe bowl microwave broth for 1 to 2 minutes or until hot. Add dried fruit. Let stand for 5 minutes. Do not drain. In a small skillet cook celery and onion in hot butter until tender. In a large bowl toss together bread cubes, apple, sage, and the 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add dried fruit mixture and celery mixture. Toss gently to moisten. (If desired, for a moister stuffing, add an additional 1/4 cup chicken broth.)
- Loosely pack stuffing beside the roast. Roast for 30 to 45 minutes more or until a meat thermometer in roast registers from 145 degrees F to 155 degrees F. Cover with foil; let stand for 15 minutes. (The temperature of the roast will rise 5 degrees to 10 degrees during standing.) Serve stuffing with roast. To serve, slice roast between ribs. If desired, pass Cherry Sauce.
- In a small bowl stir together cherry preserves and red wine vinegar.
From the Test Kitchen
*TEST KITCHEN TIP:
To make dry bread cubes, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Cut enough sourdough bread slices into 1/2-inch cubes to yield 4 cups bread cubes. Spread cubes in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until cubes are dry, stirring twice; cool. (Cubes will continue to dry and crisp as they cool.) Or, let bread cubes stand loosely covered at room temperature for 8 to 12 hours.
Prepare sourdough bread cubes as directed. Place in a storage container. Seal; let stand at room temperature for up to 48 hours. If desired, prepare Cherry Sauce as directed. Place in a storage container. Seal; chill for up to 24 hours. To serve, prepare roast as directed. In a small saucepan, heat Cherry Sauce until warm. Serve Cherry Sauce with roast.
Nutrition Facts (Pork Rib Roast with Apple-Cherry Stuffing)
- Per serving:
- 601 kcal cal.,
- 31 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 13 g monounsatured fat),
- 161 mg chol.,
- 454 mg sodium,
- 19 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 8 g sugar,
- 57 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet