Pork Mole with Coriander Rice and Barracho Beans
- Remove stem and seeds from peppers. Place the pepper pieces in a small bowl and add warm water to cover. Let stand 30 minutes; drain, discarding liquid.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat for 1 minute. Add almonds, pepitas, cumin seed, and tortilla strips. Cook and stir until lightly toasted. Remove mixture and place in a blender container or food processor bowl; set aside.
- In the same skillet cook the onion and garlic in hot oil over medium-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in tomato and heat through. Add to mixture in blender container or food processor bowl. Add drained peppers, 1/4 cup chicken broth, raisins, cocoa powder, brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover and blend or process until smooth. Add enough of the remaining chicken broth, if necessary, to make a smooth paste. Reserve 3 tablespoons of the mole.
- Butterfly the pork tenderloin by making a lengthwise cut down the center of the tenderloin, cutting to, but not through, the other side. Spread tenderloin open. Make lengthwise cuts down the center of each half of the tenderloin, cutting to, but not through, the other side. Place the tenderloin between two pieces of plastic wrap. Pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet until of an even 1/2-inch thickness.
- Spead pork with about 1/2 cup of the mole (set remaining mole aside). Roll up from a long side. Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Spread reserved 3 tablespoons mole on outside of pork roll.
- Roast, uncovered, in a 375 degree F oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted into meat registers 160 degree F. Cover and let stand 15 minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, for rice, in a medium saucepan combine the rice, water, coriander, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a small saucepan combine remaining mole with remaining 1/4 cup chicken broth. Cook and stir over low heat about 5 minutes or until sauce is heated through.
- Slice and serve pork with rice, Barracho Beans, and remaining mole sauce. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- In a large saucepan combine pinto beans, kidney beans,light beer, jalapenos peppers, garlic, ground cumin, and salt. Cook, covered, over low heat about 8 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Makes about 3 cups.