- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 1 3 1/2 - 4 pound boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 12 - 16 ounces kielbasa or other smoked sausage links, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch-long pieces
- 1 14 ounce can chicken broth
- 3/4 cup apricot nectar
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
1. Place sweet potatoes in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Trim fat from pork roast. Combine the tarragon, fennel seed, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl; rub onto pork roast.
2. In a very large skillet, brown roast on all sides in hot oil. Drain off fat. Place meat on top of sweet potatoes in cooker. Add sausage. Pour broth and 1/2 cup of the apricot nectar over all.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours, adding dried apricots for the last 30 minutes of cooking.
4. With a slotted spoon, transfer pork, sausage, and apricots to serving platter. Transfer sweet potato chunks to a large bowl; mash with a potato masher.
5. Strain cooking liquid into a glass measuring cup. Skim fat from cooking liquid; discard fat. Reserve 2 cups liquid (if necessary add chicken broth to measure 2 cups). In a small bowl whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup apricot nectar and the cornstarch. In a medium saucepan, combine cooking liquid and the cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; cook for 2 minutes more. Serve with pork and mashed sweet potatoes. Makes 8 servings.
- Servings Per Recipe 8,
- cal. (kcal) 565,
- Fat, total (g) 28,
- chol. (mg) 159,
- sat. fat (g) 11,
- carb. (g) 29,
- fiber (g) 4,
- pro. (g) 47,
- sodium (mg) 1161,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet