Pork and Apricots with Mashed Sweet Potatoes
pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
3 1/2 pound boneless pork shoulder roast
teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
tablespoons cooking oil
ounces kielbasa or other smoked sausage links, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch-long pieces
14 ounce can chicken broth
cup apricot nectar
cup dried apricots
- Place sweet potatoes in the bottom of a 6-quart slow cooker. Trim fat from pork roast. Combine the tarragon, fennel seed, garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl; rub onto pork roast.
- In a very large skillet, brown roast on all sides in hot oil. Drain off fat. Place meat on top of sweet potatoes in cooker. Add sausage. Pour broth and 1/2 cup of the apricot nectar over all.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 9 hours or on high-heat setting for 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours, adding dried apricots for the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer pork, sausage, and apricots to serving platter. Transfer sweet potato chunks to a large bowl; mash with a potato masher.
- Strain cooking liquid into a glass measuring cup. Skim fat from cooking liquid; discard fat. Reserve 2 cups liquid (if necessary add chicken broth to measure 2 cups). In a small bowl whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup apricot nectar and the cornstarch. In a medium saucepan, combine cooking liquid and the cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; cook for 2 minutes more. Serve with pork and mashed sweet potatoes. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Pork and Apricots with Mashed Sweet Potatoes)
- Per serving:
- 565 kcal cal.,
- 28 g fat
- (11 g sat. fat,
- 159 mg chol.,
- 1161 mg sodium,
- 29 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 47 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet