Orzo Stuffed Peppers with Feta and Mint
cup dried orzo
ounces bulk Italian hot or mild (sweet) sausage
large onion, chopped
stalks celery, chopped
cloves garlic, minced
cups crumbled feta cheese (8 oz.)
cup snipped fresh mint
teaspoon ground black pepper
medium red, orange and/or yellow sweet peppers
cups carrot or tomato juice
Fresh mint sprigs
- In 4- to 5-quart Dutch oven cook orzo according to package directions; drain. Set aside. Wipe Dutch oven dry; set aside.
- In large nonstick skillet cook sausage, onion, celery, and garlic until sausage is browned and onion is tender. Remove from heat; drain fat. Stir in cooked orzo, cheese, mint, and black pepper.
- Cut tops from peppers; remove seeds and ribs. Slightly trim bottoms of peppers to stand upright. Spoon orzo mixture into peppers and replace tops; set aside. In Dutch oven stir together carrot juice and salt. Stand peppers upright in Dutch oven. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 20 to 25 minutes, or until peppers are tender.
- Serve peppers on rimmed plates. Spoon over any remaining cooking juices. Sprinkle additional mint. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts(Orzo Stuffed Peppers with Feta and Mint)
- Per serving:
- 321 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 48 mg chol.,
- 791 mg sodium,
- 34 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 11 g sugar,
- 13 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet