Mexican Tacos Carnitas
- In a large bowl, stir together ground pasilla pepper, coriander, garlic, oregano, orange peel, black pepper, and salt. Add pork to bowl; toss to coat with spices.
- In a 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker, place pork mixture; top with onion wedges. In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, orange juice, and honey until honey dissolves. Pour liquid over all.
- Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 4 1/2 to 5 hours.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove meat from slow cooker. Using two forks, coarsely shred meat; discard any fat. Drizzle meat with some of the cooking liquid.
- Wrap tortillas in foil. Heat in a 350 degrees F oven for 10 minutes or until warm. To serve, top each tortilla with 1/4 cup of the meat, cilantro, and finely chopped green onions. Serve with salsa and, if desired, lime wedges.
From the Test Kitchen
Line your slow cooker with a disposable slow cooker liner. Add ingredients as directed in recipe. Once your dish is finished cooking, spoon the food out of your slow cooker and simply dispose of the liner. Do not lift or transport the disposable liner with food inside.
Nutrition Facts(Mexican Tacos Carnitas)
- Per serving:
- 423 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 91 mg chol.,
- 658 mg sodium,
- 46 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 9 g sugar,
- 34 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet