Mexican-Style Pot Roast Sandwiches
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut meat to fit into a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. With a sharp knife, make slits evenly on all sides of the meat. Insert garlic slices into slits. Place meat in cooker.
- In a blender combine vinegar, cilantro, onion wedges, the water, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour over meat in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Just before serving, in a large skillet cook red onions in hot oil over medium heat about 15 minutes or until tender. Carefully add lime juice to skillet. Cook and stir for 3 to 5 minutes more or until lime juice is evaporated.
- Meanwhile, using a slotted spoon, transfer meat from slow cooker to a cutting board. Using two forks, pull meat apart into shreds. Place shredded meat in a large bowl. Add 1 cup of the cooking juices in cooker, tossing to coat.
- Divide shredded meat among bottoms of buns. If desired, drizzle with additional cooking liquid. Top with cooked red onions and bun tops.
Nutrition Facts (Mexican-Style Pot Roast Sandwiches)
- Per serving:
- 540 kcal cal.,
- 15 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 110 mg chol.,
- 793 mg sodium,
- 57 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 42 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet