Memphis Dry Ribs
A full sparerib is the whole rib including the brisket. Memphis barbecue often calls for St. Louis-style ribs, which are the spareribs with the brisket removed.
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 2 hrs 350°F
- Grill: 10 mins
Memphis Dry Ribs
pounds pork loin back ribs or meaty pork spareribs
tablespoon smoked paprika or sweet paprika
teaspoons brown sugar
teaspoon ground coriander
teaspoon dry mustard
teaspoon garlic powder
teaspoon celery salt
teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
teaspoon cayenne pepper
cups hickory or oak chips
cup cider vinegar
tablespoons yellow mustard
Memphis Creamy Coleslaw (see recipe below) (optional)
- Trim fat from ribs. Place ribs in a shallow roasting pan. In a small bowl combine smoked paprika, brown sugar, pasilla pepper, salt, coriander, dry mustard, garlic powder, celery salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Reserve 1 teaspoon of the rub mixture. Generously sprinkle remaining rub mixture over both sides of ribs; rub in with your fingers. Cover dish with foil.
- Bake ribs, covered, in a 350 degrees F oven for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until very tender. Drain off fat.
- At least 1 hour before grilling, soak wood chips in enough water to cover. Drain wood chips.
- For mop sauce, in a medium bowl whisk vinegar into yellow mustard; stir in the 1 teaspoon reserved rub mixture.
- Sprinkle wood chips over medium coals in a charcoal grill. Place ribs on the grill rack directly over the coals. Grill, covered, for 10 minutes or until ribs are browned, turning once, and brushing occasionally with mop sauce. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Add wood chips, according to manufacturer directions. Place ribs on grill rack. Grill as directed above.)
- If desired, serve with Memphis Creamy Coleslaw. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Memphis Creamy Coleslaw
tablespoons dill or sweet pickle juice
teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
cups packaged shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix)
- In a large bowl combine mayonnaise, dill or sweet pickle juice, sugar, lemon-pepper seasoning, and salt. Stir in coleslaw mix and chopped red onion. Toss to coat. Cover and chill 1 hour before serving. Makes 4 to 6 servings.
- Nutrition Facts per serving of coleslaw: 235 cal., 22 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 10 mg chol., 420 mg sodium, 9 g carb., 2 g dietary fiber, 1 g protein.
Nutrition Facts (Memphis Dry Ribs)
- Per serving:
- 1309 kcal cal.,
- 108 g fat
- (40 g sat. fat,
- 9 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 49 g monounsatured fat),
- 367 mg chol.,
- 819 mg sodium,
- 4 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 2 g sugar,
- 74 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet