Italian-Style Corn Dogs
- To cook Italian sausages, use the tines of a fork to prick several holes in each sausage link. In a large skillet cook sausage links over medium heat about 5 minutes or until brown, turning frequently. Carefully add water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Uncover and cook, turning frequently, until liquid evaporates and sausages are done (160 degrees F). Drain on paper towels.
- Preheat oil to 375 degrees F. For batter, in a large bowl combine cornmeal, flour, Romano cheese, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in center of cornmeal mixture. In a medium bowl combine eggs and half-and-half. Add egg mixture to cornmeal mixture. Stir just until moistened.
- Insert a wooden skewer into one end of each sausage link. Dip sausage links into batter, using a spoon to coat all sides evenly.
- Fry corn dogs, three at a time, about 3 minutes or until golden. Do not crowd. Be cautious of splattering oil. Maintain oil temperature around 375 degrees F. Remove corn dogs from hot oil; drain on wire racks. If desired, serve with marinara sauce. Makes 12 corn dogs.
Nutrition Facts (Italian-Style Corn Dogs)
- Per serving:
- 539 kcal cal.,
- 36 g fat
- (14 g sat. fat,
- 6 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 18 g monounsatured fat),
- 125 mg chol.,
- 928 mg sodium,
- 23 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 22 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet