Hot Sausage and Lentil Slaw
This hot slaw is a perfect fall meal for two. Tender lentils, smoked sausage, vegetables, and vinaigrette cook together for a fantastic blend of flavors that pair well with rustic whole grain bread.
- Makes: 2 servings
- Start to Finish: 45 mins
- In a medium saucepan stir together the water and lentils. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. If liquid is not absorbed, drain the lentils.
- Meanwhile, cut sausage in half lengthwise. Slice into 1/4-inch-thick pieces. In a large skillet combine the sausage, corn, sweet red or green pepper, and water. Cook, covered, over medium heat about 4 minutes or until the sausage and corn are heated through and pepper is tender.
- Stir the cooked lentils, shredded cabbage, and 1/4 cup Pepper or Garlic Vinaigrette into the skillet. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more or until the cabbage is wilted and the mixture is heated through, stirring once.
- To serve, line 2 individual plates with purple kale, cabbage, or lettuce leaves. Spoon slaw mixture on top. If desired, pass additional vinaigrette. Makes 2 servings.
Accent this hot and hearty slaw with crusty whole wheat rolls or slices of whole wheat bread.
- 748 kcal cal.;
- 39 g Fat, total;
- 60 mg chol.;
- 11 g sat. fat;
- 70 g carb.;
- 37 g pro.;
- 780 mg sodium
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet