Hawaiian Pulled Pork
This pulled pork main dish is even better the second day. Reheat the pork and juices in a slow cooker or in a roasting pan tightly covered with foil.
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 20 mins
- Roast: 3 hrs 30 mins to 4 hrs 450/375 degree F
- Stand: 10 mins
Hawaiian Pulled Pork
- Preheat oven to 450 degree F. Cut 20 slits on all sides of pork roast at 1-inch intervals with a sharp knife. Fill slits alternately with garlic halves and ginger slices. Rub salt evenly over pork. Wrap entire roast with kale. Tie with 100-percent-cotton string to secure leaves to pork.
- Place pork, fat-side up, in center of a large sheet of foil. Gather foil up and around roast so it is completely wrapped. Place wrapped pork on a rack in a large roasting pan. Place pan in oven. Pour about 1 inch of water in bottom of roasting pan. Roast for 30 minutes; reduce heat to 375 degree F. Roast for 3 to 3-1/2 hours more or until meat is fork tender. Watch carefully; add water to bottom of pan as needed to maintain water level (do not let boil dry).
- Remove pan from oven and let pork stand for 10 minutes. Carefully transfer wrapped roast to a large container with sides high enough to collect juices, reserving juices in pan. Unwrap roast; remove string and cooked leaves; discard. Using 2 forks, shred pork. Skim fat from pan juices; discard fat. Serve shredded pork with combined juices, Chile Pepper Water, Speckled Rice, and pineapple spears. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- In a medium saucepan, bring rice, water, 1/4 cup pineapple juice, and salt to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in pineapple mint, mint or lemon basil, red sweet pepper, 1/4 cup pineapple juice, and pepper. Serve warm.
Chile Pepper Water
- In a small bowl stir together chopped pepper, whole pepper and water. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours. Serve water in a glass vinegar shaker bottle.
Nutrition Facts (Hawaiian Pulled Pork)
- Per serving:
- 528 kcal cal.,
- 16 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 151 mg chol.,
- 1082 mg sodium,
- 44 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 48 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet