Grilled BLT Skewers
- In a large bowl whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, basil, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. pepper. Lightly brush some of the mixture on lettuce quarters. Add tomatoes and avocado pieces to the lemon mixture, tossing gently to coat. Transfer tomatoes and avocado pieces to a medium bowl using a slotted spoon; set aside. Add bread cubes to remaining lemon mixture, tossing well to coat. Set aside.
- Line a large microwave-safe plate with a double-thickness of plain white paper towels. Place 4 of the bacon slices on the paper towels in a single layer. Micro-cook, uncovered, on 100 percent power (high) for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until bacon is almost cooked through but still pliable (do not let get crisp). Transfer bacon to another plate to cool slightly. Repeat with remaining bacon slices.
- On four 12-inch skewers* alternately thread tomatoes and avocado pieces and some of the bread, leaving 1/4-inch space between pieces. Thread bacon slices and remaining bread cubes onto eight 12-inch skewers, leaving 1/4-inch space between pieces, and threading bacon slices accordian-style onto skewers.
- For a charcoal grill, arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above the pan. Place bacon skewers on grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill bacon skewers for 10 minutes or until bread is lightly browned and crisp and bacon is cooked through and just crisp, turning once. Add lettuce and tomato skewers to outside edge of grill rack above the coals the last 2 minutes of grilling, turning once. (For a gas grill, preheat grill; reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Cover and grill as above.)
- To serve, place one lettuce quarter on each of 4 serving plates. Top with one tomato skewer and two bacon skewers. Serve with Basil Buttermilk Dressing and lime wedges. Makes 4 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
When using wooden skewers, soak in enough water to cover 30 minutes before using to avoid burning. Give food pieces room to cook. Allow 1/4-inch space between items so the heat can circulate and crisp all the edges. To keep meat and veggies from spinning on the skewer, thread food pieces through two parallel skewers.
Basil Buttermilk Dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, lime juice, garlic, basil, salt, and cayenne pepper. Makes about 2/3 cup.
Nutrition Facts(Grilled BLT Skewers)
- Per serving:
- 619 kcal cal.,
- 47 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 11 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 22 g monounsatured fat),
- 26 mg chol.,
- 1227 mg sodium,
- 38 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 4 g sugar,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet