Fire-Roasted Tomato and Italian Sausage Grinders
uncooked hot or sweet Italian sausage links (about 2 1/2 pounds total)
14 1/2 ounce cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
tablespoon balsamic vinegar
cloves garlic, minced
teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
teaspoon crushed red pepper
teaspoon ground black pepper
French-style rolls or hoagie buns, split
slices provolone cheese, halved
cup roasted red sweet peppers, drained and cut into thin strips
- Place sausage links in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. For sauce, stir in undrained diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, vinegar, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, crushed red pepper, and black pepper.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- To serve, preheat broiler. Place the sausage links on roll bottoms, reserving sauce in cooker. Place a half-slice of cheese on top of each sausage link and a half-slice of cheese on the cut side of each roll top. Place roll bottoms with sausage on a baking sheet. Broil 4 to 5 inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- To serve, add roasted peppers and roll tops. Serve reserved sauce in individual serving bowls for dipping.
Nutrition Facts(Fire-Roasted Tomato and Italian Sausage Grinders)
- Per serving:
- 859 kcal cal.,
- 39 g fat
- (17 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 18 g monounsatured fat),
- 96 mg chol.,
- 2305 mg sodium,
- 81 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 37 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet