Festive Pork Roast
- Place roast in a large plastic bag set in a large, deep bowl. For marinade, in a small bowl combine wine, sugar, vinegar, ketchup, water, oil, soy sauce, garlic, curry powder, ginger, and pepper. Pour marinade over meat; seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 6 hours or overnight, turning bag several times. Drain meat, reserving 1-1/4 cups marinade; cover marinade and chill. Pat meat dry with paper towels.
- Place the meat on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Insert an oven-going meat thermometer into center of roast. Roast in a 325 degree F oven for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until meat thermometer registers 150 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. In a small saucepan stir reserved marinade into the cornstarch. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Brush roast frequently with sauce after 1 hour of roasting.
- Cover meat with foil and let stand 15 minutes. The temperature of the meat after standing should be 160 degrees F. Bring remaining sauce to boiling and pass with meat.
- Makes 8 to 10 servings
From the Test Kitchen
Double-Loin Festive Pork Roast:
Prepare as above, except use a 5-pound boneless pork top loin roast (double loin, tied) and double the marinade mixture. Reserve 2-1/2 cups marinade for sauce and increase cornstarch to 4 teaspoons. Roast pork in a 325 degree F oven for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until thermometer registers 150 degrees F. Let stand and serve as above. Makes 15 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Festive Pork Roast)
- Per serving:
- 327 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 5 g monounsatured fat),
- 93 mg chol.,
- 265 mg sodium,
- 12 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 11 g sugar,
- 38 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet