Cornmeal Crusted Pork Pate
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a medium skillet, cook onion and garlic in hot oil over medium heat until tender; remove from heat and cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat egg. Stir in milk, thyme, sage, salt, pepper, and onion mixture. Add ground pork and turkey; mix well. Divide mixture into thirds. Pat one-third of the mixture into a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Layer with half the salami. Repeat layers; top with remaining pork mixture. Cover with foil.
- Place loaf pan in a shallow baking pan. Pour hot water around loaf pan to depth of 1 inch. Bake about 1-1/2 hours or until internal temperature of meat loaf registers 165 degrees F on an instant-read thermometer. Uncover meat loaf and let stand on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Pour off excess fat. Invert meat loaf onto a rack set in a shallow pan or tray. Pat dry with paper towels. Cover and chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare Cornmeal Crust. In a small bowl, combine egg yolk and water; set aside. Roll out crust on a lightly floured surface to a 15x12-inch rectangle. Pat the chilled meat loaf with paper towels to remove excess fat. Place the meat loaf in center of the crust. Fold long sides of crust up and over loaf to enclose, trimming excess pastry if necessary. Press sides of crust tightly onto ends of loaf, wrapping it like a package. Brush edges of crust with egg yolk mixture. Fold ends of crust like wrapping a package. Place wrapped loaf on a lightly greased baking sheet. Cut slits in top for steam to escape or use a small leaf-shaped cutter to cut out several leaves from the top. With the tip of a small knife, draw a stem down the center of the loaf. Brush top of crust with egg yolk mixture. Place leaf cutouts to top of loaf and brush top with egg mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour; loosely cover and chill overnight. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before serving. Slice to serve. If desired, serve with sliced pears. Makes 16 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Party for 8:
Prepare meat loaf mixture as directed in Steps 1 and 2, except use a small onion, a small clove of garlic, 2 teaspoons oil, 1 egg white (place yolk in the refrigerator to use to brush on the crust), 1/4 cup milk, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/2 teaspoon dried sage, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and 8 ounces each ground pork and turkey. Layer with 2 ounces salami. Use a 7x3-inch loaf pan and bake meat loaf for 55 to 60 minutes. Prepare half the Cornmeal Crust; roll out on a lightly floured surface to a 10-inch square. Wrap loaf as directed in Step 3. Bake, cool, chill, and serve as directed in Step 4. Makes 8 to 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Cornmeal Crusted Pork Pate)
- Per serving:
- 215 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 80 mg chol.,
- 436 mg sodium,
- 11 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 13 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet