- Makes: 6 servings
- Yields: 6 servings + reserves
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 8 hrs to 10 hrs (low) or 4 to 5 hours (high)
- Trim fat from meat. In a small bowl, stir together salt, thyme, sage, and pepper. Sprinkle spice mixture over meat; rub in with your fingers. In a large skillet, brown meat on all sides in hot oil over medium heat.
- In a 6- or 7-quart slow cooker, place apples, shallots, and garlic; sprinkle with tapioca. Place meat on top of apple mixture. Pour broth and apple cider over meat.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 8 to 10 hours or high-heat setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Reserve and store* 1 pound of the meat. Use for Pork and Berry Salad (see recipe below). Slice remaining pork; serve with apples and hot cooked rice. Spoon some of the cooking liquid over all. Makes 6 servings.
Place meat in an airtight container; cover. Chill for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator overnight before using.
Chop or slice reserved meat. Arrange 6 cups torn mixed greens on individual plates. Top with meat and 3 cups mixed berries, such as sliced strawberries, blueberries, and/or raspberries. Drizzle with 1/2 cup bottled balsamic vinaigrette or your favorite vinaigrette. Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts per serving of Pork and Berry Salad: 236 cal., 11 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 66 mg chol., 371 mg sodium, 9 g carb., 2 g dietary fiber, 24 g protein.
- Per serving:
- 407 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 7 g monounsatured fat),
- 67 mg chol.,
- 303 mg sodium,
- 43 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 11 g sugar,
- 30 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet