- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 3/4-inch pieces. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook half of the meat in hot oil until brown; remove meat from skillet. Repeat with the remaining meat. Drain off fat.
- Transfer meat to a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker. Stir in drained beans, tomatillos, onion, undrained chile peppers, garlic, cumin, and salt. Pour broth over mixture in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 to 7 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- Stir in spinach and lime juice. If desired, top each serving with sour cream and/or cilantro.
- Nutrition Facts per serving for 5- to 6-quart slow cooker: 338 cal., 11 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 77 mg chol., 680 mg sodium, 29 g carbo., 6 g fiber, 32 g pro.
From the Test Kitchen
To use a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker:
increase the meat to 2 pounds and brown in an extra-large skillet. Use two 15-ounce cans Great Northern beans or navy beans, 1 1/4 pounds fresh tomatillos or three 11-ounce cans tomatillos, 3/4 cup chopped onion, 3 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, two 14-ounce cans chicken broth, 2 cups chopped fresh spinach leaves, and 1 tablespoon lime juice. (Do not change the amounts of olive oil, green chile peppers, and salt.) Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Chili Verde)
- Per serving:
- 300 kcal cal.,
- 11 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 76 mg chol.,
- 606 mg sodium,
- 21 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 29 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet