- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped (2 cups), or 2 cups loose-pack frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper or 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/2 cup chopped fully cooked ham or smoked turkey sausage
- 1/2 8 ounce can (1/3 cup) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
1. In a medium saucepan combine chopped potatoes or frozen hash brown potatoes, water, onion, and bouillon granules. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Do not drain. Slightly mash the potatoes.
2. In a small mixing bowl stir together the milk and flour. Stir into the potato mixture. Stir in the caraway seed and pepper or lemon-pepper seasoning. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
3. Stir in ham or turkey sausage and sauerkraut. Cook and stir until heated through. To serve, ladle chowder into individual bowls. Makes 2 servings.
- Fill out this menu with sliced applies or pears, crispy breadsticks or crackers, and glasses of milk.
- Prepare Caraway Potato Chowder as directed above, except omit the ham or turkey sausage. Stir 6 ounces (1/2 to 3/4 inch thick) skinless, boneless fish fillets cut into 1-inch pieces into potato mixture along with the caraway seed and pepper. Bring almost to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer gently for 2 to 3 minutes or just until fish begins to flake easily.
- Nutritional Information: 304 calories, 24 g protein, 44 g carbohydrate, 4 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 50 mg cholesterol, 753 mg sodium, 940 mg potassium
- Servings Per Recipe 2,
- cal. (kcal) 295,
- Fat, total (g) 6,
- chol. (mg) 33,
- sat. fat (g) 3,
- carb. (g) 44,
- pro. (g) 18,
- sodium (mg) 1168,
- Potassium (mg) 895,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet