Nonstick cooking spray
pounds boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
medium yellow sweet peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
tablespoon Cajun seasoning
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion, undrained
16 ounce package frozen cut okra
6 ounce package quick-cooking brown rice, cooked according to package
Bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
- Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. In hot skillet cook meat, half at a time, until brown; drain off fat.
- In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker place meat and sweet peppers. Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning. Top with undrained tomatoes.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 7 to 8 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 1/2 to 4 hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in frozen okra. Cover and cook 30 minutes more. If desired, pass hot pepper sauce. Serve over rice.
From the Test Kitchen
Slow cooker size:
3 1/2- or 4-quart
Nutrition Facts(Cajun Pork)
- Per serving:
- 233 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 77 mg chol.,
- 444 mg sodium,
- 15 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 25 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet