Baked Pork Shoulder with Cherry Glaze
tablespoons coriander seeds
4 1/2 pound boneless pork shoulder roast (also called a "Boston butt")
cups freshly pressed apple juice or good-quality apple cider
green cardamom pods
cups dried tart red cherries or dried cranberries
cup loosely packed thyme leaves
cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In skillet toast coriander seeds over medium-high heat about 1-1/2 minutes or until fragrant, shaking pan often. Transfer to a dish to cool. Place seeds in coffee or spice grinder. Grind until seeds resemble coarse meal.
- Rub pork with salt, freshly ground black pepper, and ground coriander seeds. Place on rack in large roasting pan. Add 3 cups of the apple juice, the cinnamon, and cardamom to pan. Roast 1-1/2 hours or until internal temperature reaches 140 degrees F. Remove from oven. Transfer pork to large platter; keep warm. Pour pan juices through a mesh strainer into large liquid measuring cup. Return pork to pan along with onions. Increase oven to 400 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, for Cherry Glaze, skim fat from strained pan juices (if necessary, add additional apple juice to make 2 1/2 cups). Transfer to large saucepan. Add dried cherries. Place over medium-high heat. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until cherries rehydrate and liquid is consistency of syrup.
- Brush pork with 1/4 cup of the Cherry Glaze. Return to oven and roast 1 hour more or until pork is tender (165 degrees F) and onions begin to brown (cover loosely with foil if pork becomes too brown). Remove from oven, cover with foil. Let stand 15 minutes. Makes 8 serving plus leftovers.
- To serve, place pork on a warm platter. Arrange roasted onions around pork. Stir half of the fresh thyme and parsley into the Cherry Glaze. Carefully spoon some of the glaze over pork and top with remaining herbs. Serve with Cherry Glaze.
Nutrition Facts(Baked Pork Shoulder with Cherry Glaze)
- Per serving:
- 559 kcal cal.,
- 17 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 146 mg chol.,
- 265 mg sodium,
- 42 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 32 g sugar,
- 51 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet