Apple-Stuffed Pork Loin with Raspberry Sauce
stalks celery, coarsely chopped (1 to 1-1/2 cups)
cup coarsely chopped onion
cup margarine or butter
cups chopped tart red apples
teaspoon ground allspice
teaspoon ground cardamom
cup raisins (optional)
5 pound boneless double pork loin roast (tied)
Dash garlic powder
recipe Raspberry Sauce (see recipe below)
- For stuffing, place celery and onion in a large skillet. Cook in margarine or butter until vegetables are tender but not brown. Stir in chopped apple, allspice, and cardamom. Cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until apple is tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- Add bread cubes and, if desired, the raisins. Toss gently to coat b read, but dont overmix. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degree F. Untie the roast and separate into halves. Trim excess fat from the meat. Spoon about half of the apple stuffing over half of the meat. Spoon remaining stuffing into a 1-quart casserole; cover and chill in refrigerator.
- Reassemble roast. Tie with string to secure. Place on a wire rack in a large roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer into the center of the thickest portion of the meat. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Roast stuffed roast, uncovered, in the preheated oven for 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours or until meat thermometer registers 160 degree F to 170 degree F. Bake casserole of apple stuffing alongside the roast during the last 40 minutes of cooking time. Let roast stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve Raspberry Sauce with roast. Makes 12 to 16 servings.
cups undrained frozen raspberries, thawed
cup red currant jelly
cup apricot nectar
tablespoons honey or sugar
tablespoons brandy (optional)
tablespoons cold water
- Combine raspberries, currant jelly, apricot nectar, and honey or sugar in a medium saucepan. If desired, stir in 3 tablespoons brandy. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture just comes to boiling. Strain through a sieve. In the same saucepan combine cornstarch and water. Stir in raspberry mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts(Apple-Stuffed Pork Loin with Raspberry Sauce)
- Per serving:
- 485 kcal cal.,
- 18 g fat
- (5 g sat. fat,
- 111 mg chol.,
- 273 mg sodium,
- 36 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 42 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet