Alabama White Sauce is a blend of mayonnaise and vinegar served with chicken and pork.
- Trim fat from ribs. Place meat in a shallow roasting pan. Sprinkle ribs generously with salt and ground black pepper. Cover dish with foil.
- Bake ribs in a 350 degrees F oven for 1-3/4 to 2 hours or until tender. Drain off fat.
- At least 1 hour before grilling, soak wood chips in enough water to cover. Drain wood chips.
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, cider vinegar, sugar, cracked black pepper, lemon peel, horseradish, lemon juice, garlic, the 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Sprinkle wood chips over medium coals in a charcoal grill. Place ribs on the grill rack directly over the coals. Grill, covered, for 15 minutes or until ribs are browned, turning once. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Add wood chips according to manufacturer directions. Place ribs on grill rack. Grill as directed above.) Serve ribs with sauce.
- If desired, serve ribs with Alabama Deviled Eggs. Makes 4 servings.
Alabama Deviled Eggs
- Place 4 eggs in a single layer in a medium saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover the eggs by at least 1 inch. Bring to a rapid boil over high heat (water will have large, rapidly breaking bubbles). Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 15 minutes; drain. Run cold water over the eggs or place them in ice water until cool enough to handle; drain. To peel a hard-cooked egg, gently tap it on the countertop, then roll it between the palms of your hands. Peel off the eggshell, starting at the large end.
- Halve hard-cooked eggs lengthwise and remove yolks. Set whites aside. Place yolks in a small bowl; mash with a fork. Add 2 tablespoons mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon cider vinegar, 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish, 1/4 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel, and 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper. Stuff egg white halves with yolk mixture. Cover and chill until serving time (up to 24 hours). Before serving, sprinkle with cayenne pepper. Makes 16 deviled eggs.
- Nutrition Facts per deviled egg: 62 cal., 5 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 107 mg chol., 57 mg sodium, 1 g carb., 0 g dietary fiber, 3 g protein.
Nutrition Facts (Alabama Ribs)
- Per serving:
- 691 kcal cal.,
- 41 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 14 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 14 g monounsatured fat),
- 262 mg chol.,
- 830 mg sodium,
- 5 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 71 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet