Adobo Pork Tostadas
3 pound boneless pork shoulder roast
15 ounce can tomato sauce
cup chicken broth
tablespoons finely chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
cloves garlic, minced (1 tablespoon)
teaspoon ground cumin
teaspoon ground coriander
teaspoon ground black pepper
cup canned refried beans
corn tostada shells
cup packaged mixed salad greens
cup chopped tomato (2 medium)
avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and thinly sliced
cup queso fresco cheese, crumbled (4 ounces)
cup dairy sour cream
- Trim fat from roast; cut pork into chunks. Place pork in a 4- or 5-quart slow cooker. In a medium bowl, stir together tomato sauce, chicken broth, chipotle peppers, garlic, salt, cumin, coriander, and pepper; pour over pork in cooker.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove pork from cooker. Using two forks, shred pork. Reserve half of the pork (about 3 cups) and 2 cups of the sauce; store as directed below. Mix the remaining pork with 1/2 cup of the sauce. Discard any remaining sauce.
- Spread refried beans over tostada shells. Top evenly with pork mixture. Divide greens, tomato, avocado, and cheese evenly among tostadas. Top each with sour cream. Makes 4 servings and reserves.
From the Test Kitchen
To store reserves:
Place shredded pork and sauce in separate airtight containers. Seal and chill for up to 3 days. (Or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator overnight before using.)
Nutrition Facts(Adobo Pork Tostadas)
- Per serving:
- 680 kcal cal.,
- 36 g fat
- (12 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 15 g monounsatured fat),
- 144 mg chol.,
- 988 mg sodium,
- 40 g carb.,
- 8 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 48 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet