Pork Roast and Harvest Vegetables
1 1/2 pound boneless pork shoulder roast
tablespoon vegetable oil
cups parsnips cut into 1/2-inch pieces (3 medium)
cups carrots cut into 1/2-inch pieces (3 medium)
large green sweet pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
cup celery cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 stalks)
tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
6 ounce can frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
teaspoon instant beef bouillon granules
teaspoon ground cinnamon
teaspoon ground black pepper
- Trim fat from meat. If necessary, cut meat to fit into a 3 1/2- to 5-quart slow cooker. In a large skillet heat oil over medium heat; add meat. Cook meat until brown, turning to brown evenly on all sides. In cooker combine parsnips, carrots, sweet pepper, and celery. Sprinkle with tapioca.
- In a small bowl combine apple juice concentrate, the water, bouillon granules, cinnamon, and black pepper. Pour over vegetables. Place meat on top of vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hours or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- Transfer meat and vegetables to a serving platter. Strain cooking liquid; skim off fat. Drizzle some of the cooking liquid over meat; pass remaining cooking liquid.
Nutrition Facts(Pork Roast and Harvest Vegetables)
- Per serving:
- 309 kcal cal.,
- 9 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 73 mg chol.,
- 272 mg sodium,
- 32 g carb.,
- 4 g fiber,
- 3 g sugar,
- 24 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet