Pork Empanadas with Jicama Pico de Gallo
16 ounce frozen whole wheat bread dough, thawed
teaspoon ground coriander
teaspoon ground cumin
teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pound boneless pork loin roast, trimmed of fat and cut into thin bite-size strips
tablespoon canola oil
cup chopped onion (1 medium)
cloves garlic, minced
14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
recipe Jicama Pico de Gallo
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, let thawed dough stand, covered, while preparing filling.
- For filling, in a large bowl combine paprika, coriander, salt, cumin, and cinnamon. Add pork strips; toss to coat. In a large nonstick skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add pork strips; cook for 4 to 6 minutes or until browned and slightly pink in the centers, stirring occasionally. Using a slotted spoon, remove pork from skillet. Add onion to drippings in skillet. Cook about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in garlic. Add pork and tomatoes to skillet; stir to combine. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Divide bread dough into 12 equal portions. On the lightly floured surface, roll each dough portion into a 5-inch circle. Divide filling evenly among dough rounds, spooning filling onto center of dough rounds. Brush edge of each dough round lightly with water; fold dough round in half, pinching edge to seal. If desired, press edge with tines of a fork. Place filled empanadas on the prepared baking sheet. Prick tops with tines of a fork.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until empanadas are golden brown and heated through. Serve warm with Jicama Pico de Gallo.
Jicama Pico de Gallo
cup chopped, peeled jicama
roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
tablespoons dried currants or chopped raisins
green onion, thinly sliced
tablespoon lemon juice
teaspoon crushed red pepper
- In a small bowl combine jicama, tomatoes, currants, green onion, lemon juice, crushed red pepper, and salt.
Nutrition Facts(Pork Empanadas with Jicama Pico de Gallo)
- Per serving:
- 354 kcal cal.,
- 8 g fat
- (1 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 2 g monounsatured fat),
- 52 mg chol.,
- 749 mg sodium,
- 46 g carb.,
- 6 g fiber,
- 6 g sugar,
- 27 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet