Pollo Placero (Plaza-Style Chicken)
- In a large pot, combine chicken, one half of the onion, garlic, thyme, and oregano. Add cold water to cover; bring to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat; let chicken simmer for 30 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the thigh reads 160 degrees F. Using tongs, transfer chicken pieces to a plate. Cover and keep warm. Remove 1 cup of the chicken cooking water; discard remainder.
- In a food processor or blender, combine remaining half of onion,tomatoes, salt and the reserved chicken cooking water. Blend quickly, just enough to form a chunky sauce. Transfer mixture to a medium saucepan; bring to simmering and let cook for about 15 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Pull skin from chicken pieces and discard skin. In a large skillet, pour vegetable oil until about 1/4-inch deep. Heat oil until shimmery; add chicken pieces and cook, turning once, until chicken is browned. Remove chicken and keep warm. Add potatoes and carrots; cook and stir for about a minute or until warmed through. Remove from skillet and keep warm. Add enchilada sauce to skillet; heat to simmering. Dip tortillas in enchilada sauce; remove from skillet and fold into quarters.
- On each of four serving plates, place one piece of chicken. Spoon generously with chunky sauce. On opposite sides of the plate, arrange cooked potatoes, cooked carrots and folded tortillas. Sprinkle tortillas with queso cotija; sprinkle chicken with shredded romaine. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts (Pollo Placero (Plaza-Style Chicken))
- Per serving:
- 818 kcal cal.,
- 43 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 5 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 9 g monounsatured fat),
- 207 mg chol.,
- 1332 mg sodium,
- 71 g carb.,
- 11 g fiber,
- 16 g sugar,
- 52 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet