- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage (casings removed if present)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red sweet peppers (2 medium)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped green sweet peppers (2 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can stewed tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons instant polenta
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/3 cups instant polenta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (2 ounces)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease six broilerproof 8- to 10-ounce ramekins; set aside. For filling, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook about 5 minutes or until brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat.
2. Add sweet peppers, onion, garlic, and Italian seasoning to sausage in skillet. Reduce heat to medium; cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and black pepper. Cook for 3 minutes more.
3. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in the 2 tablespoons instant polenta.
4. For polenta mixture, in a medium saucepan bring the water and the 1-1/2 teaspoons salt to boiling. Add the 1-1/3 cups instant polenta to the boiling water in a thin stream, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir polenta about 3 minutes or until medium-soft. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/3 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
5. Divide filling among prepared ramekins. Top filling in each ramekin with about 1/2 cup of the polenta mixture. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese.
6. Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes.
- Prepare casseroles as directed through Step 5. Cover with plastic wrap; overwrap with foil. Freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw casseroles in refrigerator overnight. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Uncover and bake about 25 minutes. (Or prepare as directed through Step 5. Cover with plastic wrap; store in refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Microwave on 100 percent power [high] about 2 minutes or until hot in center, turning once halfway through cooking, or bake as directed in Step 6.)
- Servings Per Recipe 6,
- cal. (kcal) 345,
- Fat, total (g) 13,
- chol. (mg) 40,
- sat. fat (g) 6,
- carb. (g) 41,
- fiber (g) 3,
- pro. (g) 16,
- sodium (mg) 1330,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet