This colorful Mexican-style breakfast casserole boasts exciting flavors that will get you going in the morning and a heartiness that will keep you satisfied for hours.
- Makes: 10 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Chill: 2 hrs to 24 hrs
- Bake: 1 hr 325°F
- In a large skillet cook chorizo over medium heat until browned. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chorizo to a bowl, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Add onions to drippings in skillet; cook and stir over medium heat about 10 minutes or just until tender. Stir in chile peppers and sweet pepper; cook about 5 minutes or just until peppers are tender. Remove from heat. Stir in chorizo.
- Lightly grease a 3-quart rectangular or oval baking dish. Spread half of the bread cubes in the prepared dish. Spoon half of the chorizo mixture over. Repeat layers.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, milk, oregano, and paprika. Pour evenly over layers in baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes more or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 170 degrees F. Sprinkle with cheese for the last 5 minutes of baking. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro.
From the Test Kitchen
Because chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with chile peppers, wear plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the peppers, wash your hands and nails well with soap and warm water.
Cover with foil. Chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours. To serve, preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Uncover. Bake for 30 to 45 minutes more or until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 170 degrees F. Sprinkle with cheese for the last 5 minutes of baking. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts (Poblano-Chorizo Strata)
- Per serving:
- 257 kcal cal.,
- 14 g fat
- (6 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 156 mg chol.,
- 412 mg sodium,
- 17 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 5 g sugar,
- 15 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet