- make this recipe
- user reviews ()
- 4 fresh or frozen tuna steaks, 1 to 1-1/2-inches thick*
- 1 14x6x3/4-inch alder or cedar grilling plank
- 1/4 cup bottled plum sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 medium fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into eight spears
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds and/or black sesame seeds, toasted**
- Chopped green onions (optional)
1. Thaw tuna, if frozen. At least 1 hour before grilling, soak plank in enough water to cover. Place a weight on plank so it stays submerged during soaking.
2. For sauce, in a small bowl combine plum sauce, soy sauce, ginger, vinegar, oil, and crushed red pepper; set aside.
3. For a charcoal or gas grill, grease the grill rack. Place plank on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until plank begins to crackle and smoke. Meanwhile, grill tuna steaks on the grill rack for 2 to 3 minutes or until grill marks appear. Place tuna steaks, grilled sides up, on plank. Cover and grill for 10 to 15 minutes or until still pink in the center and fish begins to flake easily when tested with a fork, adding pineapple to grill rack during the last 8 to 10 minutes of grilling or until brown, turning pineapple occasionally.
4. Transfer tuna and pineapple to a serving platter. Drizzle tuna steaks with sauce; sprinkle with sesame seeds. If desired, sprinkle with green onions.
- If you like, you can substitute swordfish or halibut steaks for the tuna steaks.
- To toast sesame seeds, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread sesame seeds in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until light brown, watching carefully and shaking once or twice.
- Servings Per Recipe 4,
- cal. (kcal) 292,
- Fat, total (g) 2,
- chol. (mg) 66,
- sat. fat (g) 1,
- carb. (g) 24,
- Monosaturated fat (g) 1,
- Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1,
- Trans fatty acid (g) 0,
- fiber (g) 2,
- sugar (g) 12,
- pro. (g) 43,
- vit. A (IU) 194,
- vit. C (mg) 56,
- Thiamin (mg) 0,
- Riboflavin (mg) 0,
- Niacin (mg) 32,
- Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 2,
- Folate (µg) 28,
- Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 4,
- sodium (mg) 434,
- Potassium (mg) 945,
- calcium (mg) 30,
- iron (mg) 2,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet