Plank-Smoked Peaches and Goat Cheese
14x6x3/4-inch maple or apple grilling plank
ounces goat cheese (chevre)
teaspoon snipped fresh basil
teaspoon snipped fresh thyme
teaspoon snipped fresh chives
teaspoon ground black pepper
teaspoon olive oil
medium peaches, halved and pitted*
cup walnut or pecan halves, coarsely broken
Crackers or toasted baguette-style French bread slices
- At least 1 hour before grilling, soak plank in enough water to cover. Place a weight on plank so it stays submerged during soaking.
- In a small bowl combine goat cheese, basil, thyme, chives, and pepper. Form the mixture into a mound and coat evenly with oil; set aside.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, grease grill rack. Place plank on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium heat until plank begins to crackle and smoke. Meanwhile, place peaches, cut sides down, on grill rack. Grill about 3 minutes or until grill marks appear. Place peaches on the plank; add goat cheese mound and nuts. Cover; grill for 15 to 20 minutes or until peaches are softened and golden.
- Transfer plank with peaches, goat cheese, and nuts to a serving platter. Cut peaches into wedges. Drizzle goat cheese with honey. Serve with crackers.
From the Test Kitchen
If you like, substitute three plums or three nectarines for the peaches.
Nutrition Facts(Plank-Smoked Peaches and Goat Cheese)
- Per serving:
- 190 kcal cal.,
- 12 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 4 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 3 g monounsatured fat),
- 11 mg chol.,
- 214 mg sodium,
- 17 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 7 g sugar,
- 5 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet