Pita with Figs, Caramelized Onions, and Ricotta
tablespoon olive oil
sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Maui, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
teaspoon ground black pepper
tablespoon balsamic vinegar
cup part-skim ricotta cheese
tablespoon snipped fresh tarragon
whole wheat pita bread rounds
fresh figs, quartered
cup chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)
- For caramelized onions, in a large skillet heat butter and oil over medium-low heat. Add onion. Cook, covered, for 13 to 15 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Uncover. Stir in sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add balsamic vinegar, stirring to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl stir together ricotta cheese and tarragon; set aside.
- Cut pita bread rounds in half crosswise; wrap in microwave-safe paper towels. Microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 10 to 20 seconds or just until warm.
- Divide ricotta mixture among pita halves, spreading evenly. Layer with caramelized onions, figs, and, if desired, walnuts. Drizzle with honey.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare caramelized onions and combine ricotta and tarragon. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Reheat caramelized onions in the microwave on 100 percent power (high) for 1 minute.
Nutrition Facts(Pita with Figs, Caramelized Onions, and Ricotta)
- Per serving:
- 318 kcal cal.,
- 10 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 4 g monounsatured fat),
- 17 mg chol.,
- 383 mg sodium,
- 55 g carb.,
- 5 g fiber,
- 32 g sugar,
- 8 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet