Ingredients CakesCream Cheese Frosting:Assembly:
Nonstick cooking spray for baking
teaspoons baking powder
teaspoon ground cinnamon
cup whipping cream
cup granulated sugar
cup packed brown sugar
teaspoons vanilla bean paste or vanilla
cup buttermilk or sour milk
8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
cups powdered sugar
teaspoon ground cinnamon
cups sliced almonds, lightly toasted if desired
Silver edible luster dust or powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Coat each 4x3-inch cup of two 6-cup mini egg pans with nonstick spray for baking; set aside. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; whisk for 30 seconds; set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk the cream until stiff peaks form; set aside. In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Scrape down the bottom and sides of bowl. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing to just combine after each addition. Add the vanilla and mix until just combined. Scrape the bottom and sides of bowl again and with the mixer on low, add half of the flour mixture. Beat until combined. Add the buttermilk, beating until combined (batter may appear curdled). Add remaining flour mixture, beating until combined. Fold in the whipped cream.
- Divide the batter among the egg cups, spooning 1/3 cup batter to each. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool in molds for 5 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool completely on wire racks.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, and salt, and beat on low speed until combined.
- Frost each cake with about 2 Tbsp. icing to coat, holding each from the bottom as you frost. Arrange cakes on serving platters, then arrange almonds on frosted cakes in overlapping rows to resemble pine cones. If desired, use a small paintbrush to brush edges of nuts with luster dust, or sprinkle cakes lightly with powdered sugar.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
From the Test Kitchen
Bourbon Whipped Cream:
In a large bowl beat cream, sugar, and bourbon with a large whisk or electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form.
Nutrition Facts(Pinecone Cakes)
- Per serving:
- 462 kcal cal.,
- 25 g fat
- (13 g sat. fat,
- 2 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 8 g monounsatured fat),
- 105 mg chol.,
- 264 mg sodium,
- 54 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 39 g sugar,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet