- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a food processor combine macadamia nuts and almonds. Add 1 cup of the powdered sugar. Cover and process until nuts are very finely ground. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine egg whites, vanilla, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add the remaining 1 cup powdered sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed just until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Sprinkle one-fourth of the nut mixture over the egg mixture; gently fold in with a large spatula. Continue sprinkling and folding in nut mixture, one-fourth at a time, until the two mixtures are combined.
- Spoon macaroon mixture into a large decorating bag fitted with a large round tip (about 1/2-inch). Pipe macaroon mixture in 1 1/2-inch flat circles on the prepared cookie sheets. Sprinkle half of the macaroons with coconut. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes or just until set. Cool completely on cookie sheets on a wire rack. Peel cookies off parchment paper.
- Spread about 1 tablespoon of the Creamy Pineapple Filling on flat sides (bottoms) of the cookies without coconut. Top each spread cookie with a coconut-topped cookie, flat side down.
From the Test Kitchen
Layer unfilled cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw cookies, if frozen. Fill as directed in Step 5.
Creamy Pineapple Filling
- Drain crushed pineapple in a sieve, reserving drained liquid. In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth. Add drained pineapple and vanilla. Beat until combined. Gradually beat in powdered sugar and enough reserved pineapple juice (1 to 2 tablespoons) to make a filling of spreading consistency.
Nutrition Facts (Pineapple-Filled Macaroons)
- Per serving:
- 188 kcal ,
- 7 g fat
- (2 g sat. fat ,
- 0 g polyunsaturated fat ,
- 3 g monounsaturated fat ),
- 6 mg chol. ,
- 45 mg sodium ,
- 33 g carb. ,
- 1 g fiber ,
- 31 g sugar ,
- 1 g pro.