Traditional Pumpkin Pie
- Prepare and roll out Pastry for Single-Crust Pie. Line a 9-inch pie plate with the pastry. Trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry; crimp edge as desired.
- For filling, in a mixing bowl combine pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Add eggs. Beat lightly with a rotary beater or fork just until combined. Gradually stir in evaporated milk and milk; mix well.
- Place the pastry-lined pie plate on the oven rack. Carefully pour filling into pastry shell.
- To prevent overbrowning, cover edge of the pie with foil. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil. Bake about 25 minutes more or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate within 2 hours; cover for longer storage. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare, bake, and cool pie as above. Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
Test Kitchen Tip:
You can use 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice for the spices in this pie.
Pastry for Single-Crust Pie
- Stir together flour and salt. Using a pastry blender cut in shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until all the dough is moistened. Form dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
Nutrition Facts (Traditional Pumpkin Pie)
- Per serving:
- 286 kcal cal.,
- 13 g fat
- (4 g sat. fat,
- 86 mg chol.,
- 120 mg sodium,
- 38 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
How To Video
Barbara Haberman 262 Days Ago
What if I want to start with a fresh pumpkin and not canned?