Today's French Silk Pie
- Prepare Baked Pastry Shell; set shell aside.
- For filling, in a large bowl beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed about 4 minutes or until fluffy. Stir in melted and cooled chocolate and vanilla. Gradually add egg product, beating on high speed and scraping side of bowl constantly until light and fluffy.
- Transfer filling to pastry shell. Cover and chill in refrigerator for 5 hours. If desired, garnish with whipped cream and chocolate curls. Makes 10 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
Prepare as above. Cover and chill in refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
Baked Pastry Shell
- Stir together 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in 1/3 cup shortening until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over part of the mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl. Repeat moistening dough, using 1 tablespoon cold water at a time, until all the dough is moistened (4 to 5 tablespoons cold water total). Form dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough. Roll dough from center to edge into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin. Unroll pastry into a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch pastry. Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Generously prick bottom and side of pastry in pie plate with a fork. Prick all around where bottom and side meet. Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 5 to 6 minutes more or until golden. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Today's French Silk Pie)
- Per serving:
- 378 kcal cal.,
- 24 g fat
- (10 g sat. fat,
- 37 mg chol.,
- 229 mg sodium,
- 38 g carb.,
- 0 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet