Toasted Coconut Macadamia Cream Pie
15 ounce package refrigerated unbaked pie crust (1 crust)
cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
cup cream of coconut
teaspoon cream of tartar
tablespoon flaked coconut
Coconut Shards (optional)*
- Unfold pie crust; press half of the macadamia nuts into dough. Transfer to pie plate.; flute edges and back according to package directions; cool. Set aside.
- Separate egg yolks from whites; set whites aside for meringue. For filling, in a medium saucepan combine 1/3 cup of the sugar, the cornstarch, and salt. Stir in milk and cream of coconut. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. In a small bowl beat egg yolks slightly. Gradually stir about 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the beaten egg yolks, stirring constantly. Return all of the mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in butter. Stir in the 1 cup toasted coconut and 2 teaspoons of the vanilla. Keep filling warm; prepare meringue.
- For meringue topping, in a medium mixing bowl beat egg whites, remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and cream of tartar on medium speed of an electric mixer until soft peaks form (tips curl). Gradually add remaining 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Pour warm filling into baked pastry shell. Spread meringue evenly over hot filling; seal to pastry edge. Sprinkle with remaining macadamia nuts and 1 tablespoon flaked coconut. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Top with coconut shards. Chill for 3 to 6 hours before serving; cover and refrigerate for longer storage. Makes 8 servings.
From the Test Kitchen
With a vegetable peeler, shave curls of fresh peeled coconut. Spread in a single layer in a shallow baking pan; bake in a 350 degree F oven for 5 minutes or until light brown.
Nutrition Facts(Toasted Coconut Macadamia Cream Pie)
- Per serving:
- 472 kcal cal.,
- 30 g fat
- (19 g sat. fat,
- 1 g polyunsaturated fat,
- 6 g monounsatured fat),
- 97 mg chol.,
- 297 mg sodium,
- 44 g carb.,
- 2 g fiber,
- 25 g sugar,
- 7 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet