Summer Fruit Tart
Top this low-fat custard with a variety of seasonal fruits.
- Makes: 10 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Bake: 10 mins 450°F
Summer Fruit Tart
- In a medium bowl, stir together flour, the 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the cold water over part of mixture; gently toss with a fork. Push moistened dough to side of bowl. Repeat with remaining water, 1 tablespoon at a time until all dough is moistened. Form into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, flatten dough with hands. Roll from center to edges, forming a circle about 13 inches in diameter. Ease pastry into an 11-inch tart pan with removable bottom, being careful not to stretch the pastry. Trim even with edge of pan. Prick pastry generously with tines of a fork. Bake in a 450 degree F oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
- For filling, in a heavy medium saucepan, stir together the 1/4 cup sugar and the cornstarch; stir in milk and egg product. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat. Stir in orange juice concentrate and vanilla. Cover surface of the filling with plastic wrap; refrigerate 3 to 24 hours or until thoroughly chilled.
- Spread cooled filling in pastry shell. Cover; chill for 1 hour.
- Arrange fruit as desired on top of filling. Combine honey and rum. Brush fruit with honey mixture. Serve immediately, or cover and chill for up to 1 hour. Before serving, remove side of pan. Makes 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Summer Fruit Tart)
- Per serving:
- 224 kcal cal.,
- 5 g fat
- (3 g sat. fat,
- 14 mg chol.,
- 135 mg sodium,
- 40 g carb.,
- 3 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet