Strawberry-Banana Cream Pie
- In a mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour and salt. Cut in shortening or lard until pieces are the size of small peas. Add almonds. Sprinkle cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time, over mixture, tossing with a fork after each addition until all is moistened. Form dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry to a 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry around rolling pin. Unroll onto a 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate being careful not to stretch pastry.
- Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of plate. Fold under extra pastry. Crimp edge of pastry. Do not prick pastry. Line the pastry shell with a double thickness of foil. Bake in a 450 degree F. oven 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 4 to 5 minutes more or until set and dry. Cool.
- For filling, in a saucepan mix the 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir until bubbly. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks. Return all to saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in margarine and vanilla. Cover surface with plastic wrap.
- Slice bananas 1/4-inch-thick; toss with lemon juice. (You should have about 1-1/4 cups). Spread half the hot filling evenly into pastry shell. Arrange half the bananas and strawberries on top. Top with remaining filling, bananas, and strawberries. Cover; chill 1 to 6 hours.
- Before serving, beat the whipping cream, 1 tablespoon sugar, and almond extract until stiff peaks form. Pipe or dollop onto pie. Makes 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Strawberry-Banana Cream Pie)
- Per serving:
- 368 kcal cal.,
- 20 g fat
- (7 g sat. fat,
- 78 mg chol.,
- 119 mg sodium,
- 42 g carb.,
- 6 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet