Spring Asparagus Quiche
Asparagus, available year-round in many in grocery stores, is at its best during spring. When you find it fresh, and possibly locally grown, make the most of it in this main-dish quiche.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Bake: 35 mins
- Stand: 10 mins
Spring Asparagus Quiche
Nonstick cooking spray
ounces asparagus spears, trimmed and halved crosswise
cup grated Parmesan cheese
10 ounce package refrigerated pizza dough
medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
dash ground nutmeg
cups shredded Swiss cheese (6 ounces)
teaspoons cooking oil
Shaved Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan cook the asparagus, covered, in a small amount of boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain; set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together the grated Parmesan and basil. Sprinkle a work surface with half of the mixture. Roll out pizza dough on the surface to a 12-inch square. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan mixture. Using a rolling pin, gently press into dough by rolling over top.
- Turn dough into prepared pan. Press dough up the sides of the pan, folding under edges as needed to form sides that are 2 inches high. Line dough in pan with a double thickness of foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 5 minutes more. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Crumble bacon; set aside. Cook onion in reserved drippings over medium heat until tender but not brown; drain.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together eggs, milk, salt, and nutmeg. Stir in crumbled bacon and onion. Toss together Swiss cheese and flour. Add to egg mixture; mix well.
- Pour egg mixture into the dough-lined pan. Toss asparagus halves with the oil. Arrange asparagus in a spokeline pattern on top of egg mixture. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Remove sides of pan to serve. Top with shaved Parmesan cheese, if desired. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts (Spring Asparagus Quiche)
- Per serving:
- 386 kcal cal.,
- 20 g fat
- (9 g sat. fat,
- 214 mg chol.,
- 649 mg sodium,
- 28 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 23 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
Related CategoriesBreakfast and Brunch Casseroles, Breakfast and Brunch Egg Recipes, Breakfast and Brunch Meats, Breakfast and Brunch Recipes, Casseroles, Chocolate Desserts, Desserts, Dinner Recipes, Easter Recipes, Egg Recipes, Healthy Breakfast Recipes, Healthy Recipes, Heart-Healthy Recipes, Italian Recipes, Low Fat Recipes, Pies, Pizza Recipes, Pork Recipes, Quiche Recipes, Seasonal Recipes, Vegetable Casseroles, Vegetable Recipes