Spring Asparagus Quiche
Asparagus, available year-round in many in grocery stores, is at its best during spring. When you find it fresh, and possibly locally grown, make the most of it in this main-dish quiche.
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Bake: 35 mins
- Stand: 10 mins
Spring Asparagus Quiche
Nonstick cooking spray
ounces asparagus spears, trimmed and halved crosswise
cup grated Parmesan cheese
10 ounce package refrigerated pizza dough
medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
dash ground nutmeg
cups shredded Swiss cheese (6 ounces)
tablespoon all-purpose flour
teaspoons cooking oil
Shaved Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan cook the asparagus, covered, in a small amount of boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain; set aside.
- In a small bowl stir together the grated Parmesan and basil. Sprinkle a work surface with half of the mixture. Roll out pizza dough on the surface to a 12-inch square. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan mixture. Using a rolling pin, gently press into dough by rolling over top.
- Turn dough into prepared pan. Press dough up the sides of the pan, folding under edges as needed to form sides that are 2 inches high. Line dough in pan with a double thickness of foil. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 5 minutes more. Remove from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Crumble bacon; set aside. Cook onion in reserved drippings over medium heat until tender but not brown; drain.
- In a medium mixing bowl stir together eggs, milk, salt, and nutmeg. Stir in crumbled bacon and onion. Toss together Swiss cheese and flour. Add to egg mixture; mix well.
- Pour egg mixture into the dough-lined pan. Toss asparagus halves with the oil. Arrange asparagus in a spokeline pattern on top of egg mixture. Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Remove sides of pan to serve. Top with shaved Parmesan cheese, if desired. Makes 6 main-dish servings.
Nutrition Facts (Spring Asparagus Quiche)
- 386 kcal cal.;
- 20 g Fat, total;
- 214 mg chol.;
- 9 g sat. fat;
- 28 g carb.;
- 1 g fiber;
- 23 g pro.;
- 9 mg vit. C;
- 3 mg iron;
- 374 mg calcium;
- 649 mg sodium;
- 206 RE vit. A
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet