Try this classic recipe combination of cake baked into a pie shell. This standard variation is often called a "funny cake."
- Makes: 10 servings
- Prep: 40 mins
- Bake: 45 mins 350°F
- Cool: 30 mins
recipe Single-Crust Pie Pastry, see recipe, or 1 rolled refrigerated unbaked piecrust (1/2 of a 15-oz. pkg.)
tablespoon raw sugar or coarse sugar
teaspoon plus 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
teaspoons butter, melted
cup packed brown sugar
tablespoons light-colored corn syrup
teaspoon plus 1 teaspoon vanilla, divided
cup granulated sugar
cup powdered sugar
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare pastry and line 9-inch pie plate. In bowl combine raw sugar and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Brush melted butter over crust. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. of cinnamon-sugar mixture. Set aside.
- For syrup, in saucepan combine brown sugar, 1/4 cup butter, the water, corn syrup, and 1/4 tsp. cinnamon. Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Boil gently for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/2 tsp. vanilla. Set aside.
- In mixing bowl beat 1/4 cup softened butter with electric mixer on medium speed for 30 seconds. Beat in granulated sugar, powdered sugar, baking powder, salt, and cream of tartar until well combined. Beat in egg and 1 tsp. vanilla. Gradually beat in milk until combined. Beat in flour. Spread evenly in crust-lined pie plate.
- Slow pour syrup over the filling in pie plate. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture. Cover edges of pie with foil.
- Bake pie 25 minutes; carefully remove foil. Bake about 20 minutes more or until top is puffed and golden brown, and a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool 30 minutes on wire rack. Serve warm. Makes 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts (Snickerdoodle Pie)
- Per serving:
- 385 kcal cal.,
- 17 g fat
- (8 g sat. fat,
- 49 mg chol.,
- 289 mg sodium,
- 53 g carb.,
- 1 g fiber,
- 4 g pro.
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet